[Coco] sourceforge insurance

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:41:22 EDT 2015

Storm in a teacup. Go back to coding and writing documentation, guys :p

No, there is no need to change anything. There are many well-meant
suggestions in this thread, but little applies. And much misinformed.
I don't know where to start...

Well first, we all have a hg repo clone on our hard drives. I have a
backup of the wiki (yes, SF allows backup downloads). I refuse to
believe they will ever change or delete any project data (bug tracker,
html pages, not much more) without prior notice.

SF offers no-bullshit web page hosting and shell access. For instance,
http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/ is a simple web page, there are
no download scripts nor possible wrappers, although they /could/
appear on the SF "Files" menu. In these times, the single most
precious quality of a hosting service is how easy it is to move away
from it...

Most corporations above a certain size need to maximize profit, and
they do their mistakes. github wih all the cool guys is young, and
just wait till what will happen when they are bought and their
services get "enhanced". SF is not the prettiest guy in the class, but
have been with us for decades, although obviously there are new owners
and managers now and then with clever ideas.

Self-hosting by individuals? Forget about it. Apart from the bus
factor, companies with paid engineers are fighting to do the work for
us.

Finally, if things change and we have to take action, we'll do it then.

Regards,
Tormod