[Coco] sourceforge insurance

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Tue Jun 16 13:43:13 EDT 2015

On Jun 16, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Major projects have forked & left, starting with GIMP.

Projects have left Sourceforge, but Sourceforge still has copies and has started "infecting" the binaries with adware and malware. The repositories have not been deleted from Sourceforge, which is the real problem. Because the projects are open source there's nothing preventing Sourceforge from maintaining a (possibly out-of-date) copy of the source code and compiling it distributing it with malware installers.

> Github charges a monthly fee for using their services,

Please don't spread FUD.

Github charges a fee for *private* repositories. Anything open source and available to the public is free. I have several projects on Github. The best thing about Github is it is based on git and that makes it extremely easy for anyone to get a complete copy of a repository and they can host it somewhere else. I usually start all my projects with my own personal git server, and then when they are far enough along I push them out to Github to share with the general public.

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com