[Coco] DUAL VGA displays???

Joe Schutts j_schutts at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 00:57:58 EDT 2015

Hi all,
I can think of a number of reasons against using DUAL VGA Monitors BUT I will TRY to go over both the CONS and the PROS and in the process I hope this will help anyone who has this same problem...
CONS:
1. Using 2 CRT Monitors take up TOO much space. Desk Real Estate that can be better used.2. Using CRT Monitors (wheather 1 OR 2) eat too much energy. Flat Screens are better PLUS the picture is a LOT clearer.3. Why use 2 CRT Monitors when you can get by using 1 CRT Monitor (or better yet 1 Flat Screen) with a VGA Switch.
PROS:
1. I hate to say it but, I honestly cannot think of any PROS...
Here are some suggestions you can use to hook up a Flat Screen VGA Monitor AND a CoCo together using 1 Flat Screen Monitor. At least this is what I recommend. I hope this helps everyone.

I saw your letter about the Tandy 1000 & CoCo problem you have. What I would recommend you do is to get an OLD PC ISA VGA Card for the Tandy 1000 (IF I remember correctly, the 1000 had some ISA Card Slots in them ((NOT sure HOW many though)). The problem then will be WHERE to find the Drivers for this card. One place where you can find all kinds of parts (AND sometimes software as well) for the 1000 is the Salvation Army Web Site. It might take some time to find something that will work, but I'd check there 1st. Another good place to search is the Goodwill Site, again a good place for OLD cheap Hardware. One thing you'll need to watch for, is to make sure it comes WITH a Driver Disk (heck, you might even luck out and find a 1000 VGA Card that was designed specifically for the 1000). Once you have this covered then you'll also need a VGA Splitter (you can probably get a used one for about $10.00 - If it comes WITH Cables even better).
You will also need a total of 2 VGA to VGA Cables (Male to Female). Again I'd shop where I recommended, it's probably the cheapest place to find them. Once you have the VGA Card installed you'll just run 2 VGA to VGA Cables for the PC's. One from the CoCo (using Roy's adapter) and one from the 1000 going into the Splitter and then another VGA Cable from the Splitter Out to your Monitor. Then just use the switch on the Splitter to choose which PC you'll watch on the Monitor.

I'm going to be using roughly the same type of setup on my CoCo setup, the only difference is that I use 2 Monitors (1 24" Flat Screen and 1 32" Flat Screen) for my 1 Main PC. The 32" Flat Screen I'm using right now is being fed by a VGA Signal. The only difference is that I'll only be using 2 VGA Cables (Male to Female), one for the Splitter to the 32" Monitor and 1 from the PC to the Splitter itself (I too will be using Roy's VGA Adapter). The IN/OUT Ports on the VGA Splitter do not care which side is used for the Input side. They're Bi-Directional, which is nice. As a side note, IF you have a Serial to Parallel Adapter (for the CoCo) then you can ALSO do the same thing for the CoCo and the 1000. Again you need the appropriate number of Cables (probably 3 Male to Female) and a Parallel Splitter Box. Again they're Bi-Directional.

If you still have problems finding that VGA Card at either one of the Sites I recommended, then I suggest you try E-Bay or Amazon. You'll probably pay much more then the other sites I told you to go to BUT you'll probably have an easier time finding a 1000 Compatible Card there (less pictures AND descriptions to look through). Either way, Happy Hunting and good luck with your search. IF you have any other questions feel free to contact me here: j_schutts at yahoo.com
Just make sure to put CoCo in the SUBJECT LINE so I know it NOT SPAM...
Take care...
Joe