[Coco] CoCo 1 & 2 Compatibility Question...

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Tue Jun 9 01:36:45 EDT 2015

Actually, later versions of the CoCo 2 had true lower case. If I remember correctly, these machines also lacked some of the semi-graphics modes, but I am not sure.

Very late in the CoCo 2 production run, an enhanced VDG was available. Called the 6847T1, it included a lower case character generator and the ability to display a green/orange or black border on the text screen. Its other changes were mainly to reduce parts count by incorporating an internal data latch. The lower case capability of this VDG is not enabled by default on this system and is not even mentioned in the manual. Only through some tinkering and research was this feature discovered by intrepid CoCo users.
The 6847T1 may also carry the part number XC80652P; these may have been pre-release parts.