[Coco] NitrOS-9 dsave command

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sat Jul 25 02:12:37 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Pierce via Coco" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Cc: "Bill Pierce" <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2015 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] NitrOS-9 dsave command

> As an alternative to the DSave cmd, I use "arc", which allows me to copy
> ANY directory to ANY disk system, including sub-directories if needed. It
> will copy just files, just directories, directories and files, multiple
> directorie levels, etc. I have used it on full 120 meg HDs with no
> problems. The cmd syntax is simple and needs no pipes. I've used arc since
> the late 80s when I got it off of Delphi.
>

> Usage: arc [-acdeflmuv] from_dir to_dir
> Example:
>
> arc -cde /x1 /h0/FILES (copies all files from /x1 to /h0//files but asks
> permission for each file and directory).
>

>    a = all files
>
>    c = confirm file if not there
>
>    d = confirm non-existant directory
>
>    e = confirm existing directory
>
>    f = prevent copy of files
>
>    ln = only n levels of the tree (0-9)
>
>    m = do multiple (all) directories
>
>    v = verify the copy
>
>    u = force uppercase for comparisons
>

> The only problem i've had is directories that start with numbers
> (originally illegal in OS9) and files with the "s" attribute set. I have
> the source so this could easilly be addressed as well.
>
> You can find "arc" on "My Favorite OS9/NitrOS9 Utilities" disk image on my
> site.
>

> https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/favorite-os9-utilities
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way to
> slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

I downloaded that disk from you awhile back.  Arc has earned a permanent
home in my cmds directory.

I use it to keep updated backups of any source files I'm screwing around
with as it will automatically skip over files that don't need to be updated
but will copy any updated files automatically overwriting the older copies.

Very useful. Should have had a different name though. Arc sounds like a file
archiving utility.