[Coco] e-mail app???

jon bird news at onastick.clara.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 14:31:21 EDT 2015

In article
<CAK2=s2pupgSZ4+6MEzGSDQCiRxinXeKQWjnTi8EdBP5ck3RZ2w at mail.gmail.com>,
Brett Gordon <beretta42 at gmail.com> writes
>hmmm... a CoCo with SMS possibilities.  Interesting.  It looks like
>twitter's API needs SSL to work :(  We can do a TCP connection using
>drivewire, but  SSL, I donno. Can a 64k machine do SSL?

I confess putting together a simple Twitter app for a Dragon/Coco has
been on my list of "interesting projects if I ever get time" for a while
now ever since seeing one on a Spectrum a few years back. Unfortunately
that was before everything moved to SSL...

I did have a peruse some time back at embedded SSL libraries, they are
out there and I'm fairly sure I read that one of them could fit into
<64K after a bit of tailoring but I suspect I lack the expertise to do a
good job on that. You also need SSL for the OAUTH signing of the URLs.

My initial thoughts on the matter (having already written a simple
Twitter app in C) were to at first cheat and push all the SSL side of
things to a Linux proxy sat on the same machine as DW. Then once I've
got my head around the DW TCP interface, knock something up using a
small C JSON library. Actually got as far as getting a semi-working
build of newlib (for the C RTL) up and running but it was a bit of a
hack and at present is generating ~22K executables for a simple "hello
world" type app - so given my earlier comments on SSL probably this
probably isn't a viable route to get a fully fledged client up and
running....

>On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 11:10 AM, <farna at amc-mag.com> wrote:

>> "Geez, now I want to write an email app. What were we talking about?"
>>
> What about a texting app instead? You'd still need to connect to the
> internet, or maybe directly to a cell phone or line, maybe one of the
home
> phone cell boxes?  Not being a modern programmer (some BASIC way back
in
> the day!) I don't know if that would be easier. Maybe go through a
micro
> controller like an Arduino with internet access...

Brett M. Gordon,
beretta42 at gmail.com

== jon bird - software engineer
== <reply to address _may_ be invalid, real mail below>
== <reduce rsi, stop using the shift key>
== posted as: news 'at' onastick 'dot' clara.co.uk