[Coco] worst game ever review: pooyan

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Jan 28 01:58:23 EST 2015

So this game apparently got mentioned as one of the Worst Games Ever
because of Radio Shack false advertising. Anyway.

Pooyan (CoCo3 patched) is a silly little single-screen arcade
game. cats/alligators/whatevers jump down from the top of the screen
and you have to shoot their balloons to make them drop. You can move
up and down, and shoot arrows. The enemy critters throw apples(?) at
you. Something unspecified but apparently bad happens if they make it
all the way to the ground.

The game's engine seems pretty well thought out. Arrows and apples
both travel in arcs, and fairly precise hits have to be made for the
weapons to be effective. Shooting the critter doesn't bug them, you
have to shoot their balloon. Likewise the critters have to hit "you",
not the elevator cage you're riding. They can block your shots with
their apples.

Speed was mentioned as an issue with this game. I haven't lasted 2
full minutes yet so I don't really think the game moves too slow. ;-)
I think I mentioned that I stink at games.

The intro music is pretty good, and the sound effects work well. This
is apparently a port? So I'm sure purists object to there being
no music during play, but whatever.

Since the game was patched to be in color on an RGB coco3 it wouldn't
be fair to talk much about graphics. Besides, what else do I need to
say beyond "PMODE 3"?  I do wonder what the critters are supposed to
be though. :-)

In summary: Not a bad little game. Will play again.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard