[Coco] Worst game ever...

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Thu Jan 22 10:02:11 EST 2015

I feel like "one of those guys" for pointing this out, but while ET is not
a good game by any stretch of the imagination, and that and the Atari 2600
version of Pac-Man 2600 are often casually referred to as the root causes
of the North American Great Videogame Crash, it's far from the worst game
ever made, and obviously wasn't one of the root causes of the Crash, but
merely a high profile example of why something like the Crash happened when
and how it did.

While I haven't seen the documentary, what's interesting about the dig that
the documentary is based around, is that it proved once and for all that
there weren't millions of ET cartridges buried in the landfill. There was a
wide variety of Atari products in that landfill, ET carts among them.

I do like your idea of finding some of the worst CoCo games on cartridge. I
would also love us to do the exercise of best CoCo games on cartridge, and
then best original CoCo games (not ports or direct clones) on cartridge.
The latter was something I tried to do in "Vintage Game Consoles" when
selecting 10 games to highlight for each of the included systems in the
book. If the primary focus wasn't on originals or platform exclusives,
there'd be quite a bit of redundant talk of arcade ports found on multiple
platforms, since that's often what people point to as their favorites.
There's nothing wrong with that, but it kind of takes away focus from
platform originals.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and