[Coco] FW: Color Computer DSKINI / RETRIEVE

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Jan 17 22:35:40 EST 2015

Chad H wrote:
> Sorry but it sounds more like you are not aware of my problem.  PLEASE READ ENTIRE EMAIL
> Sent from my Galaxy S4

Then consider the following test results.

Coco3 512K running HDBDOS with the drive table set for double sided disks.
Drive1 the first side of a 3.5" drive.
Drive3 the second side of a 3.5" drive.

DSKINI1
SAVE"SIDE1:1"
DSKINI3
SAVE"SIDE2:3"

This disk was placed on a PC drive running Win98SE. The JVC COCO3 1.91b emulator
was started and the F6 key was pressed. From that panel the File Port utility
was started. This internal utility is the equivalent of RETRIEVE.
The utility permits selection of the PC drive and and drive head/side. When I
selected side 0, drive a: I saw a directory listing including SIDE1.BAS. When I
selected side 1, drive a: I directory contained SIDE2.BAS.

This indicates that HDBDOS correctly formatted the 3.5" disk on the Coco3 such
that both sides could be accessed on the PC. Given that the JVC emulators and
RETRIEVE are old programs, they don't work well with WinXP regards floppy drives
but work perfectly with Win98SE.

Robert