[Coco] Full Midi Synthesizer on a CoCo

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Feb 2 23:02:57 EST 2015

Nick, I don't know about that chip in particular, but I've wondered the same thing. I know there's chips out there that not only have SoftSynths, but full stereo dacs/adcs and voice synthisis as well.
I see a lot of this used in arduiono and raspi projects.
Just looking at the spec sheet you linked, it would have to include the audio out chip and clock crystal as that chip only outputs digital. The audio would have to be converted to analog before output (hence the audio out chip)
Also, before committing to such a project, one would want "good quality" sounds as some chips have old "win95" sounding Midi (which sucks) and some have very good samples.
I would look at chips made by EMU and Yamaha before I would go with a Cirrus Logic chip. EMU and Yamaha have some of the best sounds out there. There are others as well.

If a board can be built to accept nothing but 5v and a midi in/out bus with stereo outputs for amplification and be completely self contained in a rom pak, it should be doable. As I mentioned... even dac/adcs and voice synthesis could be considered too.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com