[Coco] OT: Recovery Disc set for Dell Inspiron 15 3520...

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optimum.net
Sat Aug 29 16:26:57 EDT 2015

I'm good.

The new hard drive arrived today and is installed. I have a Dell Windows
7 Professional 64 Bit DVD if I need it. The Recovery Discs didn't get
here today, but should arrive by Monday.

I verified the old drive is definitely bad. I used Linux MINT to wipe
the old drive and reformat it. It found errors. Then, I reinstalled
Windows 7 last night just to play. Windows 7 picked up problems from the
S.M.A.R.T. hard drive feature and kept warning me that the hard drive
was about to fail. I went past the errors and loaded it up anyway.

But, I'm going to trash the drive. It obviously can't be trusted even as
a backup drive.

Dell said that I could load a generic Dell Windows 7 on my Laptop,
download the drivers and install them, then go to "My Dell Downloads"
and download all the pre-loaded software. I have never gotten that site
to work.

I installed the drivers. I went to the My Dell Downloads site intending
to download everything to a USB key for safe keeping.

Nope. Wouldn't work. Said my system's Service code was invalid. Wouldn't
let me in. As I told the Dell techs on Monday it wouldn't work. I
immediately sent a e-mail to the rude Dell manager telling her about
this.

This is going into my letter to Dell Corporate, you betcha!

This is why I wanted the recovery DVDs. Some of you may be OK with a
generic Windows 7 install, and shareware apps.  But, I actually use many
of the pre-installed apps like the DVD player and the Roxio burner
software. I do replace the Anti-virus with something more recent, and
less resource hoggy.

The old drive was a Samsung if anyone was interested. The new drive is a
7200 RPM Toshiba.

-[ Al ]-

P.S.: There is a program called PCDecrapifier
(http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/) that is reputed to remove crapware from
new PCs.