[Coco] OT: Recovery Disc set for Dell Inspiron 15 3520...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Aug 28 06:26:36 EDT 2015

On Friday 28 August 2015 00:28:05 Al Hartman wrote:

> That was the first thing I did. They all require a Windows 2003/2008
> Server environment and special software to run the Deployment Kit, and
> specialized knowledge I don't have. By the time I spend the time to
> learn it all, ordering the restore set from Tom's link was the  more
> economical option.

And you missed yet another opportunity to install linux and get rid of
the virus called windows.  Forever.

And its free. There has only been 1 windows machine I ever wrote a check
for, Al.  The was on about 2003 when I was being drafted, after I had
retired, to go play fireman at some of the other broadcast facilities
Russ Withers owned.  Took me 3 days to shrink the windows partition &
put linux on it.  It was an HP lappy that had XP on it. Find the windows
networking drivers were buggier than the linux drivers, so about 90 days
later, I did a new install of what was then mandriva linux, blowing the
xp install away.  Never looked back. 2 things I don't allow on the
premises, a windows only box, and after owning a VW Jetta for about 18
months, VW's aren't welcome either.

There is nothing on it or in it that doesn't take a thousand dollar bill
to fix, except perhaps a windshield wiper blade. Electric window motor?
$800/copy.  Headlights, 3x total replacements in a year because the
internal wiring was burned up, $345/side.

Sunroof fell out, $3000.

Paranoia because you can't get more than 3 feet or 3 seconds away from it
and it locks automatically.  The third time I had to take a shovel and
skin up the paint prying the drivers door open far enough to hit the
switch on the armrest with a steel bar to unlock it when the keys were
in the ignition was the final straw, I took a 15 thousand dollar beating
trading it for a 2007 Toy Rav-4 the next day.  Best vehicle ever, on a
par with my WV Cadillac, a 99 GMC 3 door pickup.

> -[ Al ]-

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)