[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed Aug 26 02:35:41 EDT 2015

Here are a couple more trial layouts based on the 14.75 key width constraint.

The first is inspired by the CoCo 1 and CoCo 2 layout, with four added keys to fill out the matrix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lt1k76rof8wofl/MJB-57-proposal-02.png?dl=0

The second is inspired by the CoCo 3 layout. The width constraint is a quarter key too narrow to fit in the arrow keys on the normal diamond arrangement, so I moved them down to the bottom and made them an inverted T (which I think is more ergonomic, anyway). I also narrowed the right shift key to allow a symmetric arrow key arrangement... I don't entirely like that, but the width constraint is tight and compromises need to be made if the WASD key sizes are to be used. This layout looks lopsided to me, but so does the regular CoCo 3 layout.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hho4o5vmi5fcx9l/MJB-57-proposal-03.png?dl=0

Of course, these physical arrangements would be just as applicable on a smart keyboard with PC-style arrangement, as this is an exercise in fitting standard-sized PC keycaps (with arbitrary markings) into the CoCo's 14.75x5 key available bezel space.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/