[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 153, Issue 65

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Aug 26 01:17:12 EDT 2015

Here's another cool idea but maybe it's too complicated.  What if you design a keyboard with a CPLD (or FPGA) which can perfectly emulate a CoCo keyboard and all of the keycaps match exactly what is on the CoCo keyboard.  The CPLD isn't necessarily needed because everything matches the CoCo but we include it anyway and it emulates it anyway. Then, for the non-purists who would rather just have a PC style layout they buy different keycaps for the 2,6,7,8,9 0, -,=, etc. keys and they flip a little DIP switch on the keyboard and away they go!  The CPLD knows to perform the translation albeit not perfect and everybody's happy.

Dave Philipsen