[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Aug 25 02:40:26 EDT 2015

I got a price quote from the first keycap manufacturer I contacted. For a single set of custom keycaps, the price is close to $900, with double shot a bit more expensive than pad printing. At quantity 20, double shot is actually cheaper than pad printing, and the price is down to just over $90 per keycap set. I haven't looked into PCB or sheet metal pricing yet, but I think this puts the finished price (with a very small profit margin) in the $200-$300 range at a production quantity of 20 keyboards.

So, no surprise, but this isn't looking promising. I rather doubt I'd find 20 people (counting me) willing to drop $200-$300 on a very custom, very deluxe CoCo keyboard upgrade, and I rather doubt that the CoCo keyboard upgrade market would be large enough to get the price down to a less painful level.

Oh well, if find a sunken Spanish galleon full of gold coins in my yard then I'll revisit this idea. :)

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/