[Coco] Mechanical keyboard upgrades for the CoCo

Mathieu Chouinard chouimat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 10:59:43 EDT 2015

Hi,
well the WASD keyboard, I bough a few weeks ago came with the USB to PS2
adapter, if any are interested.
Mathieu

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Bill Loguidice
<bill at armchairarcade.com> wrote:
> I'm a huge fan of mechanical keyboards and use them on my modern computers
> whenever possible, but I don't see how it would be financially practical to
> create anything resembling a drop-in replacement for the CoCo. I'm also not
> aware of such a feat being accomplished for any other vintage computer in
> our modern era, although replacement keyboards are being devised for the
> C-64 and Amiga 1200 (albeit not mechanical, merely modern replacements for
> the original designs; those communities are much larger as well, so the
> economies of scale work in their favor, which is why they're getting a lot
> of things (modern recreations of the motherboards, new cases, etc.) that
> those in the CoCo community are still aspiring to).
>
> I imagine the most practical solution is the aforementioned PS/2 interface
> (USB would be preferred, of course, since today's mechanical keyboards are
> mostly USB-based), but that's obviously a bit of an inelegant solution,
> though of course has the advantages of being mostly future (and breakage)
> proof, fairly straightforward, and relatively inexpensive.
>
> With the above in mind, I wonder if taking something like the Vengeance K65
> keyboard (
> http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-k65-compact-mechanical-gaming-keyboard),
> which is about as compact as mechanical keyboards get (~6.5x14in.; although
> I don't recall the dimensions of the CoCo case), and figuring a way to
> securely and somewhat cleanly mount that on top of the CoCo case (removing
> the old keyboard, etc.) and using an appropriate adapter (it helps it has a
> removable cable), would be a sufficient compromise between using an
> external keyboard or creating a true replacement? Probably not.
>
> -Bill

> Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
> <http://www.armchairarcade.com>

A te quaeso, sicut in Aeneidos libro quarto Aeneas, elocutus
desiderium erigendi suum obeliscum in templo Venereo Didonis, ab ea
quaesivit, tuae domi an meae?