[Coco] Coco 3 keyboard (again)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Aug 8 16:02:33 EDT 2015

On 08/08/2015 08:50 AM, Rogelio Perea wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8 2015, Rich Mellor (RWAP) wrote:
>
> I did ask a couple of years ago if there would be enough interest to get a
>> run
>> of replacement membranes made, but unfortunately, there were only a couple
>> of
>> people interested.
>>
>> In reality to get prices realistic, you are looking at a production run of
>> 250
>> membranes, but the investment required is quite high (around £3,000 at a
>> guess).
>>
>> If there is enough interest, then maybe the answer would be for someone to
>> run a
>> kickstarter?
>>
> Hello Rich,

> Question for the list members who may be more familiar with the CoCo
> membranes lay out: Are the CoCo 2 & 3 membranes the same layout throughout?
> The CoCo 3 has the two extra F1 & F2 pads, if that's the one difference
> could a possible run of membranes be laid out so it would be a one size
> fits both CoCo models? What about the CoCo 1's layout?
>

> -- RP

I can vouch that a CoCo 3 keyboard can work in a CoCo 1.  When I put a
CoCo 3 in a mini tower case way back when, I had this spare keyboard
lying around.  The chicklet in my original CoCo 1 wasn't doing so well,
so I concocted a way to wedge the spare CoCo 3 keyboard into it.  I used
a short length of ribbon cable with a card edge connector on the end of
it.  The mylar is too thin to fit snugly by itself, of course, but I cut
a little strip of PCB and stuck it in there with the mylar, and it made
a good connection. Maybe I'll do a blog post about it, so people can see
a picture of how I did it.

JCE