[Coco] Color Computer (1) Power Switch

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Aug 4 16:09:30 EDT 2015

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 11:39 , Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>
> On 08/04/2015 12:24 AM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>>> On Aug 3, 2015, at 18:47, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Does anybody know of a source for a pin-compatible power switch for the original silver CoCo?  I have a pretty nice looking 4K CoCo that has a broken power switch
>>
>> I'm not positive that it's identical, but this one looks awfully close:
>>
>> http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/F4UEE/401-1226-ND/417520
>>
>> And here's a black cap for it:
>>
>> http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/21125/401-1215-ND/417523
>>

> Cool.  That sure looks like it.  Anybody know if the CoCo's switch is a 4PDT?  Is the 500mA rating enough for the CoCo and an FDC?

I opened up my silver CoCo last night, found that switch that looked nearly the same, and checked the pin pitch and the distance from the last pin to the end of the button stalk. The Digi-Key switch looks like it's probably a drop-in replacement, despite very slightly different construction. I was too lazy to ohm out the contacts of my CoCo's switch, but I'd wager that it's also 4PDT just based on the contact arrangement and knowledge of how those switches are built. I don't think you'll even be able to tell the difference from the outside unless you chose to buy a different color of cap.

I also saw a DPDT switch that looks like a replacement for the reset button. The one I saw was push-on/push-off, and I didn't bother looking for a momentary version. But it hardly matters, because it's very easy to turn that push-on/push-off switch into a momentary one: Just pull back the coil spring a bit to expose the end of the toggling wire link, lift out the toggling wire link, and then return the coil spring to its original position.

So if you act today, you should be able to have a nearly exact brand new replacement switch by this weekend.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/