[Coco] About those EPROMS...

Sat Apr 11 03:08:06 EDT 2015

Thanks go to the main manufacture of most IR remotes in the US for providing a 6 pin interface intended for programming upgrades using a pogo stick set of pins. That allowed one company to devised a method that RCA remotes do not clash with X-10 remotes, and ~ 50 other companies remotes.

If you are a cable system that needs a way to "upgrade" the remotes you are giving to customers this provides the method.

Somebody looked in their remote's battery compartment and saw the 6 pin interface. And they were off to the races.

The software that was developed is easy to use (YMMV) and provides a picture of the remote showing what you have defined. I found a new button for my HDTV (May it's rotten ATSC tuner rest in peace) when I made a typo.

SHF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark McDougall" <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] About those EPROMS...

> On 10/04/2015 11:58 PM, Salvador Garcia wrote:
>
>> Yeah, agreed, it was pretty silly and meant to be illustrative of what I
>> initially found when looking for information about reading EPROMs. Still,
>> as silly as it may be, it does illustrate the fact that reading an EPROM
>> does not take black magic, just put the address out there and assert he
>> control signals and you'll have data. Salvador
>
> Bear in mind the EEPROM in the remote is a different type of device
> altogether; it's a serial memory device meant to be programmable in-circuit,
> accessed via I2C or SPI or other low pin-count serial bus.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> |              Mark McDougall                | "Electrical Engineers do it

You described the EEPROM and it's serial interface.

They went on to understand the memory map and most of the machine level code.

 "JP1" is much more than a programming ability, it's the software to make users like me define what each button on the remote does and provides for eight (8) different devices. Plus being able to add buttons from other devices.

Example, my VCR button mapping can have buttons added for the HDTV sound level.

SHF