[Coco] MultiPak use

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Tue Apr 7 23:40:57 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Brant"
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:04 PM
Subject: [Coco] MultiPak use

> If I were to put a disk controller and an SDC pak into the multipak, what
> do you think is the optimal way of doing this.
>
> I have to following items.
> Stock FD502 Controller
> FD502 controller with HDB-DOS
>
> 2 sets of Double Sided 5.25 Drives
> CoCoSDC with SDC-DOS
>
> CoCo3 with 512K RAM
> CoCo 2 with 64K RAM
>
> While I am eagerly awaiting the MPI that Jim is making, I have a stock MPI
> without the CoCo 3 upgrade.  Was debating on whether or not to upgrade
> my MPI now or just use it with CoCo2 and get one of Jim's for the CoCo 3
> later.
>
> I am new to the CoCo world after a long hiatus and never had an MPI until
> this time around. I also have a drivewire cable as well.
>
> --

Michael, you can use the multipak with the Coco 3.  The PAL upgrade just
prevents a possible memory conflict (if I understand it correctly).  I used
a non-upgraded 26-3124 MPI for years with no problem and also a non-upgraded
26-3024 for a short period of time with no problems (I upgraded it
recently).

I have my Disto Super Controller II in slot 4.  My RS232 pak is in slot 3
and my SDC is in slot 2.

I had the SDC in slot 1 but I kept accidentally smacking it with my hand so
I moved it to slot 2.

I don't know about this being optimal, but it works for me quite well.

It sounds like you're set up pretty darn well.  Welcome back to the world of
the Color Computer.