[Coco] Things that work NOT!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 5 04:37:42 EDT 2015

On Sunday 05 April 2015 00:34:42 Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
> > we still do
> > not have a way to do any sort of an incremental, only
>
> I can think of at least six (6) ways to do that.
>
> All seen in MSDOS or Windows. Perhaps in SCOPE, Sunny vale's
> Collection Of Programming Errors or Supervisory Control Of Program
> Execution. Well actually it was started in Palo Alto which I
> considered to be nirvana where the Gods programmed. Until I became one
> of them and realized that they were all impoverished with impoverished
> managers that would not hire any one good because they would have been
> found out. Head office said that if they got anything for the money
> the sent out they had to be happy.
>
> None have an requirement to add anything to the file structure.
> --------------
> But then I have a higher view of better. I see NitrOS-9 to be much
> less useful than the OS-9 system I was programming on at the end of
> Delphi and CI$.

Can't argue. The breakup into ever smaller modules has slowly eaten the
available system ram, and I haven't been able to format a floppy in most
of a decade. But apparently I am the only one with the problem. Too much
I/O stuff in what I consider a minimum bootfile. :(

> MSHELL is the first program that is a real attempt to make the
> usability of OS-9 much better. The amount of resources needed to run
> it concerns me. But if you run it alone to move files around and the
> other tasks you can do with it then it will be OK.

I'd have to agree, but I haven't quite gotten used to it, and it does
have some limits.  Resources it uses are a non problem on a 512k and up
machine.

It needs to have the windows arranged above and below so there is room to
display the dir -e output as a starter to even more capability from
plugins.

I use mc here, a lot, because there isn't anything it can't do. But its a
side by side display also, with similar limits. mc=Midnight Commander,
older than linux I believe.  Ncurses interface, which can be another
hiccup.
> SHF

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)