[Coco] For those of you following the RGB2VGA FPGA

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 29 04:03:47 EDT 2014

The quality of your card is very good. Very sharp and clean. It's
obviously been tailored to suit the CoCo3 video.

It's color spectrum is it's biggest problem.

I think that for most OS-9 users though, it's ability to represent the 8
digital colors very well will be enough. Just don't plan on running many
of the games such as Koronis Rift, Thexder and the Sierra adventures...
although the Sierra adventures are mainly 8 digital colors with 2 levels
of brightness so they may be ok (EGA 16 colors).

I have an Amiga and have a flicker fixer installed. I tried connecting
an LCD monitor to it and although it works fine, the quality of
upscaling from a non native resolution to the LCD panel resolution is
downright ugly.

In the end, I found a very cheap (free!) LG CRT 15" monitor with high
quality built in stereo speakers and the image (and sound) quality is
brilliant! The Amiga works best on VGA LCD if you have a proper video
card that can deliver native LCD resolution.

And likewise on the CoCo3, I'll stick to CRT here too. I have a Tandy
CM-8 (which is a pretty low grade RGB monitor) but connecting it to a
Amiga 1084 yields better results. I'm happy with my original CM-8 though.

A CoCo 1/2 to VGA converter would be good. It only has the 8 colors so
your VGA adapter would be good.
I assume that a VGA adaptor for this will require tapping to the
internals to derive the necessary luma and chroma signals.

Nick