[Coco] Solving old (coco) adventure games on modern day computers

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 00:43:49 EDT 2014

Maps, walk through solutions, and a very detailed analysis of Raakatu,
Bedlam, Pyramid 2000, Madness and the Minotaur,  and others can be found
online already.  I won't link anything here out of respect for people who'd
rather not know :)  but, if you're interested in how these games work,
there is a site where they have done an awesome job of dissecting them.

When I ported these games to Android,  that site was invaluable.   It does
ruin any chance of solving the game yourself to know this stuff though.
They were a big part of what the Coco was to me back in  the day, so it was
hard to admit I'd never figure them out, but once I did it was also very
interesting to learn how they worked.

The guy who wrote P2000, Bedlam and Raakatu was named  Robert Arnstein.  He
wrote a few other games for the model I/III as well.  There is a sort of VM
that the games are implemented in, and you can see how it evolves over time
from game to game, adding new tricks.  Many tricky bits to deliver bigger
adventures than available RAM should allow.  If you've definitely given up
on solving the games,  it's a very interesting bit of history imho.