[Coco] For those of you following the RGB2VGA FPGA

nickma2 at optusnet.com.au nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Sep 28 22:25:33 EDT 2014

I admire Luis's drive and skill.  His VGA adapter seems very good,
with sharp text on what is normally a blurry scaling of a non native
video resolution on an LCD panel.

It does at the moment suffer from it's inability to display the full
64 color CoCo3 palette accurately but if he persists, he may nut this
out.

But before getting too excited about buying such a device, do we have
a cost estimate of how much a proper production unit will end up
costing?

One needs to compare it to the purchase of a compatible CRT (with full
color range such as the Commodore Amiga 1084 monitors). These can be
had reasonable cheaply on ebay and adapted to give a great picture on
the CoCo3.

How much is an Altera DE-0 board plus the extra board that Luis has
developed? Can it all be had for under $100? I know I can buy an Amiga
RGB CRT for less.

If a custom board can be made and enough people buy it, the price
could be reasonable. But the CoCo market is too small to get that sort
of volume to drive down prices so the best chance is if the board can
be designed to work with other retro computers as well.

Nick