[Coco] cartridge prototype board

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 28 19:43:51 EDT 2014

On Sunday 28 September 2014 17:11:17 Kip Koon did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi Guys!
> Would we want some type of minimum Address Bus decoding on the
> Cartridge Protyping PCB or leave it totally covered with solderable
> holes and no circuit whatsoever.  How about buffer chips on all the
> signal lines in case the user makes a mistake.  That way the Coco
> would not be harmed.  Only the socketed buffer chips would need
> replacing.
> There are 32-bytes in the space allotted for the electronics in
> cartridge paks, but not every product would need them all.  Besides by
> now certain addresses have become known to be used for certain
> functions like those used by floppy and IDE hard drive controllers,
> serial port controllers, and multifunction paks like the IR-Tech pak,
> the Disto paks and much more.  I would be interested in a copy of a
> document detailing absolutely all the uses of the addresses in the
> $FFxx I/O block if anyone has the addresses collected together in one
> place.  I have seen some documentation detailing the entire $FFxx area
> in the past which looked absolutely full but it had "todos" here there
> and yonder for explanations of things not included yet. There was no
> memory address unused at some point or other.  How is the $FExx block
> used?  I remember someone mentioning about needing to write something
> in the $FE00 area to get something to work in the Coco 3, but I don't
> remember what that was talking about.

$FFE0-FFFF is AIR, (and I'm trolling in awfully ancient wet ram here so
double-check me folks) reserved for the system hardware in both coco
families.  IIRC even if in the all ram mode, those last 2 pages are
switched back to rom by one or the other of the gfx chips, gime or the
coco1-2 6847.

> I have also been thinking of designing a cartridge prototyping PCB, but
> I didn't know whether or not to go ahead and put decoding glue logic
> on it or not.  Maybe some type of configurable circuit to place the
> users project anywhere in the $FFxx block, and not just in the $FF40 -
> $FF5F 32 byte block.  I'll keep thinking on this and see what happens.
>  Take care my friends.

What we really need before going off in 739 directions looking for
hardware addressing space in the $FFxx page, is for someone to develop a
cut it into the circuit easily board that replaces ALL of the $FFxx
decoding that is so sloppily done by tandy when they wasted 32 bytes for
every device, and with the singular exception of someone designing a 16550
based serial port that needs 16 bytes, and some totally screwed decoding
in the WP_RS that CAN be fixed, mine is, everything else we have can make
do with a 4 byte wide decode except the floppy controllers.  The floppy
controllers would need $ff40-43, and $FF48 but even that could be moved to
$FF44 although that would need basic patches.  Not worth the effort, by
even leaving it at $FF48, we would still have $FF44-47 for use someplace
else IF we had 4 byte wide decoding.  That is room for a pia and 4 more
bit bangers or 2 parports right there folks. Ditto for $FF49-4C, another
pia=4 more bit bangers.

Simply by decoding to 4 byte wide cs lines for the motherboard PIA's, 7
more bits and pieces of hardware needing the usual 4 byte wide address can
be fitted into the $FF00-FF3F area alone.

Nitros9 would likely need an expanded IRQ & VIRQ table.  That is something
I haven't investigated recently.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)