[Coco] Drivewire

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 26 21:52:54 EDT 2014

On Friday 26 September 2014 21:25:09 Bill Nobel did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On a side note Aaron a question,, I am looking to setup a decent Linux
> server and deciding which flavour.  I have looked at Unbutu, Suse &
> Centos. But I think I might go Debian would this be the wisest choice
> for a good Server with DW4?  It seems to have the most packages
> available but I am not too informed.
>
> Bill Nobel

Almost any gui flavor of debian or ubuntu, even mint, can do what you
want.  I started out in '98 on redhat, but bailed when the free fedora
turned into a did the victim die research lab for the price per seat of
the official redhat.  If it blew up, they might fix it, and then again
they may not.  If you are really good, centos is the redhat with the
branding removed and no official support except a mailing list for users
which has no connection to redhat.  Its good, but you are pretty much on
your own if the mailing list can't answer your questions. 99% of the time
the list can fix it.

I tried 2 or 3 others including Mandrake, pclos & even one published by a
guy in Morgantown WV, but each was too limited to be useful for much other
than web browsing and email.  When I got really interested in cnc
machinery, I found that the free software for that, then named EMC, ran on
the ubuntu 8.04 release.  It was a bit klunky but in 2011 was rebuilt to
run on the 10.04 LTS ubuntu, which was much better.  So that is whats on
all 3 machines here, the major diff being that this box has a recent
3.16.0 self built kernel.  Generally it just works, and I expect the
ubuntu 12.04 LTS would too.  But their latest, 14.04 LTS (the LTS means
long term support for 5 years) isn't being received as well, mainly
because the kde choice for a gui is apparently pretty buggy, particularly
on amd hardware.  I expect that will stabilize at about the 14.04.3 LTS
respin, which is still a few months away. .2 LTS is out about now and
better but the list is still pretty busy.

What hardware do you intend to throw at it?

> > On Sep 26, 2014, at 3:21 PM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Chromebooks have the distinction of being the only type of modern
> > computer you can buy that won't run Drivewire (out of the box, at
> > least).  That is unlikely to change due to limitations of the
> > platform.. Limitations which are IMHO perfectly reasonable give
> > enough the target customer, but still make it impossible to do
> > anything like drivewire.
> >
> > However, you can install a full linux environment a couple different
> > ways. DW will work fine then.  I have used dw4 under linux on a
> > couple different chromebooks, no problem there.  You will need the
> > rxtx libs for the linux you use and most any JRE.
> >
> > On Sep 26, 2014 4:38 PM, "Steve Ostrom" <smostrom7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >> Just curious.  My Windows laptop that I used to run Drivewire 3 has
> >> broken. I just purchased a refurbished HP Chromebook 14 from Woot
> >> that uses the Chrome OS.  Can I get Drivewire to work with this
> >> Chromebook without having to add Linux to the OS?  Anyone have any
> >> thoughts along this path? I plan to repair my old Toshiba Windows
> >> laptop so Drivewire is available again, but thought that maybe the
> >> Chromebook might work.  How about the cable connections?  I think
> >> the Chromebook (still being delivered) has USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports,
> >> HDMI, Wi-Fi and is the 4G model so can use T-Mobile 4G phone
> >> service for data transfer.  It also has a multicard SD slot.  It's
> >> been awhile, but I think I needed a serial port dongle connected to
> >> my Toshiba for the Drivewire cable.
> >>
> >> Has Drivewire every been converted to use a Coco serial to PC USB
> >> port, or is that not even feasible?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> --- Steve ---
> >>

> >> --