[Coco] Drivewire

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 26 17:08:17 EDT 2014

On Friday 26 September 2014 16:33:30 Steve Ostrom did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Just curious.  My Windows laptop that I used to run Drivewire 3 has
> broken. I just purchased a refurbished HP Chromebook 14 from Woot that
> uses the Chrome OS.  Can I get Drivewire to work with this Chromebook
> without having to add Linux to the OS?  Anyone have any thoughts along
> this path?  I plan to repair my old Toshiba Windows laptop so
> Drivewire is available again, but thought that maybe the Chromebook
> might work.  How about the cable connections?  I think the Chromebook
> (still being delivered) has USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, HDMI, Wi-Fi and is
> the 4G model so can use T-Mobile 4G phone service for data transfer.
> It also has a multicard SD slot.  It's been awhile, but I think I
> needed a serial port dongle connected to my Toshiba for the Drivewire
> cable.
>
> Has Drivewire every been converted to use a Coco serial to PC USB port,
> or is that not even feasible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --- Steve ---

Yes, works great but the usb-ser converter you use can be problematic. I
long ago banned the pl2303 devices from my usb tree.  But anything you
see in this list works well on linux.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 050d:0751 Belkin Components
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub *
Bus 001 Device 015: ID 1a40:0101 TERMINUS TECHNOLOGY INC.
Bus 001 Device 014: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 04f9:0033 Brother Industries, Ltd #
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 04f9:0053 Brother Industries, Ltd #
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 1a40:0201 TERMINUS TECHNOLOGY INC.
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0409:0059 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 1a40:0101 TERMINUS TECHNOLOGY INC.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 045e:0773 Microsoft Corp.
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0409:0059 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub *

Those marked with a * are motherboard hub drivers, no clue if there are
winders equ's.  Probably, but not by that name as Bill would have a cow.

Those marked with a # are printers, both of which work very well from
the coco for text files, like assembler listings.  Piped into a cups port,
the output on paper is as pretty as the printer can do, many times better
than any non-daisy wheel printer ever used with a coco.

One of them is a bit of black magic, it is a 10 meter usb extension cable
that runs to the basement where my coco lives and has no effect on how
DW works as it Just Works(TM).

Using the DW's pc gui, point its I/O at one of the USB ports, the one
that disappears if you unplug it from the hub when the other end is
hooked to the coco's bit-banger port.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)