[Coco] FPGA the future of coco?

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Sat Sep 13 17:43:41 EDT 2014

Have you looked at the Replica I board? No sacrifices were made. He included
the Apple I bus connector.

http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=17

There is also a ZX Spectrum Clone that implemented the ULA in discrete
logic. It's not priced out of the atmosphere, and it has the Spectrum
expansion bus.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37746

Here's a simple 6809 computer that even uses a modified Coco BASIC. I doubt
it would take much work to make this into a Coco 2 clone, and then add
support for modern peripherals on board.

http://searle.hostei.com/grant/6809/Simple6809.html

You keep trying to say that what others have accomplished on other computers
is impossible for the Coco. It's not impossible. Nobody has tried to do it
yet, that's all.

I think the FPGA route involves too many compromises. Discrete components
allow for a much more faithful recreation.

-[ Al ]-