[Coco] MESSUI 0.154 with Becker port

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Sep 10 09:55:42 EDT 2014

Guillaume Major wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I uploaded Richard's original patch and my patch on the Color Computer Archive.
> You can get them at:
>
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Emulators/MESS/Source/Becker%20port%20patch/

Guillaume,

The patch works for me at rev 32053 but can't compile the ui version until that
private patch gets updated on the release of .155.

There are some strange things about the patch for MESS. Do you see this on your
system? With the 154UI version you posted, MESS does not show any floppy drives.
Regardless of what is done with the MESS menus, you can't get floppy drives to
show or mount images.
With my compilation of the MESS command line more recent version, I do have
floppies. Also I can run coco2b, coco3, and coco3h with Drivewire. I have not
tried other combinations.
We need to determine if this is a MESS bug or a Becker Patch bug.

There is a major bug with all Drivewire emulator/coco combinations on my system.
Do you see this?
Start Drivewire4 (current version) with a suitable NitrOS-9 disk mounted in
DWdrive0. Start any emulator with the Becker version, MESS, VCC, or real Coco3
with 6309. Boot NitrOS-9, and at the first attempt at DW access after the
welcome message is shown, the emulator/coco will crash and reboot the ROM. Any
subsequent attempt to boot NitrOS-9 works normally.
You can access Drivewire4 normally (even just after starting it) if you don't
use NitrOS-9.

I think but am not sure that the crash has something to do with starting the
NitrOS-9 clock as when a DW4 clock module is used, the date is not correct until
about 1 minute after NitrOS-9 is running.

Robert