[Coco] "VideoPak" hardware question

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 9 21:32:56 EST 2014

On 10/11/2014 12:23 PM, tonym wrote:

> But wouldn't the graphics chip handle offloading the bulk of the
> graphics operations, freeing the CPU to do what it needs to do?

You would still require movement of significant amounts of data between
Coco memory space and the graphics processor - it needs to get graphics
data from somewhere! How often you'd need to do that would depend on the
nature of the software you're writing. Otherwise you'd have to develop
some DMA engine to suck the data across, which would still impact 6809
performance due to memory contention.

> I guess you could ask why the MicroC video board for the kaypro was
> made, or why the SecondSight was made for the A2GS, or the gfx card
> for the model IV. Or, the WordPak and other 80 column PAKs for the
> CoCo.

The graphics card for the Model 4 is all-but-useless. The port-mapped
graphics registers allow access to hires video memory during VBLANK
only. You don't even get enough bandwidth to emulate a handful of small
sprites using hand-tuned Z80 assembler, let alone moving anything on the
background. It's not useful at all for games, only for static displays
like charts & graphs. It says something that not a single game for it
was ever developed, aside from what amounted to little more than an
interactive 'demo' written by the graphics card vendors themselves.

> Wouldn't it be a matter of a driver, and then expanding the gfx
> capabilities of OS-9, but via the driver, still support the previous
> modes? I mean, if a WordPak or other 80 col pak can work, why
> couldn't a higher-res PAK with proper drivers work?

Anything is possible, not everything is practical. You need to look at
the architecture of early video arcade games and consoles as an
indication of useful features and practical capabilities. They all had
custom graphics circuitry, but still none had high resolution, deep
colour bit-mapped displays, nor did they have 3D engines in that era. It
was pretty much tiles and sprites across the board, because that was the
only architecture that the 8-bit CPU's could manage. Interestingly a few
6809-based boards did have bit-mapped graphics (Williams, Stern & Konami
come to mind) but they had limited colour depth, were comparable in
resolution to the Coco 3, and yet all had custom graphics enhancements
(blitters & scrolling) to assist the CPU (a notable exception being
Defender).

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it here. If you want bang-for-buck,
a (scrolling) tilemap and sprite system overlaid on GIME graphics would
be the way to go. It minimises CPU load, is suited to a very wide range
of retro-style games, is easier to program, and would open up the
possibility of ports from other platforms - lowering the barrier to
entry for new software being developed. It's also relatively simple to
implement in an FPGA.

Regards,