[Coco] "VideoPak" hardware question

tonym tonym at compusource.net
Sun Nov 9 20:23:20 EST 2014

But wouldn't the graphics chip handle offloading the bulk of the graphics operations, freeing the CPU to do what it needs to do?

I guess you could ask why the MicroC video board for the kaypro was made, or why the SecondSight was made for the A2GS, or the gfx card for the model IV.
Or, the WordPak and other 80 column PAKs for the CoCo.

I guess, because you can!

Wouldn't it be a matter of a driver, and then expanding the gfx capabilities of OS-9, but via the driver, still support the previous modes?
I mean, if a WordPak or other 80 col pak can work, why couldn't a higher-res PAK with proper drivers work?