[Coco] NitrOS-9 boot configuration tool

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 16:28:28 EST 2014

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM, tim lindner <tlindner at macmess.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Nick Marentes <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Is it possible to write a program on the PC to build the NitOS-9 boot
>> image(dsk)?
>
> This is what the Makefiles do in the NitrOS-9 repo.

Exactly.  I always generate any NitrOS9 disks I need right from the
source code, using a modern computer it takes only a few seconds.

However, this process requires at least a basic understanding of
"modern" software build systems...  basically you must edit text files
and type commands.  Not user friendly if you don't do that kind of
thing all the time.

There has been discussion about adapting something like the menuconfig
tools the Linux kernel uses to provide a more accessible way to
configure a NitrOS9 build.  I think the consensus was that the tools
Linux uses are overkill and a bit insane in their own right.  The
nitros9 configuration is pretty simple in comparison to a linux
kernel.  Might not be worth much effort just to avoid editing text
files.