[Coco] disk images in VCC

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat May 3 22:48:52 EDT 2014

Wayne, I've been using Vcc 1.4b since about 1 1/2 years before it's public release and I've never had that problem. I'm not saying you're not having problems or that the problem doesn't exist, just that I've personally not had the problem. So I can't seem to duplicate it. I have had some 40tk DSDD and 80tk DSDD images that wouldn't load into Vcc but found that adding "$12 $02" as the first 2 bytes of the image (if not already there) with a windows hex editor usually fixes the problem. This is "standard" for JVC format disk images (double sided). Some programs, even "os9" (the program, not the OS) that creates the images for the repo does not do this and the repo images will not boot in XRoar until this is done. XRoar will not even load them. Disk images created in Vcc will have these 2 bytes present at the beginning of the image as a default.
On another note though, I have noticed some strange behavour in the dw4 "/N" descriptors after using the "floppy drives" of Vcc 1.4.3b in OS9, but for some reason, with the last NOS9 build, that seems to have disappeared. I think it was a bug in the dw4 driver.

To be honest, if I was not going to use dw4, I wouldn't use vcc 1.4.3b and use vcc 1.4.2 instead. I have both installed on my system just for those occasions. The becker port patch definitely introduced some little "quirks" for sure.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com