[Coco] help with fd-501 disk images and toolshed

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Mar 15 18:54:30 EDT 2014

xnaron wrote:
> Hi,
><snip>
> Here is the link to the image I pulled.  http://xnaron.com/floppy1.zip
>

> Here is the rub.  I can't read this file with the toolshed decb tool.
>
 ><snip>
> Can anyone comment on why this is happening?  I'm probably missing
> something simple but all the googling and reading of documentation isn't
> getting me anywhere.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brendin

It is simple. The image is not in a format that the tool understands.

If you look at the raw image, it is exactly $5A000 bytes which is a 40 track
double sided disk. That is not the default Coco image format and you need to
place a header on the file to change it to a jvc format so that the disk can be
recognized correctly.
I added the two bytes $12 $02 to the front of the file and changed the name to
floppy1.dsk. Wimgtool (MESS) then recognized the disk as a Disk Basic format
containing zaxxon2.bin, robotron.bin, galaga.bin, lun-rov3.bin and trapfall.bin.
The disk mounted in VCC could be read correctly from Disk Basic with DIR and at
least one of the programs galaga ran correctly.

Robert