[Coco] Setting up xroar on linux

Greg Law glaw at live.com
Thu Jun 26 19:07:22 EDT 2014

Ciaran Anscomb wrote:

Greg Law wrote:

>> This is a bit twisted, but you're actually looking for
>> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\XRoar with the one catch being that
>> AppData is a hidden folder so you can't see it by default.
>>
>> >From the other side of the fence, XRoar should be able to find this
>> >folder
>> without any problem because "C:\Users\<username>\Local Settings" is a
>> junction (symlink) that points to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local"
>
> Now that's interesting - I didn't realise it was a symlink.  Is there
> a recommendation for the application writer to refer to one or the other?
>
> I'm only expecting XRoar data there (or the current working directory
> on Windows, as many people just run it from the unzipped directory)
> because that's where other apps seemed to be putting their data.
> Pretty much just monkey see, monkey do...
>
> I expected (as it existed) that the "~/Local Settings/Application Data"
> directory was as familiar to Windows users as "~/Library" to Mac users
> or dot files to Unix users.
>
> If there's some other standard location for application files that users
> would more be more likely to know about, do shout and I'll add it to
> the search path in future.

I don't remember the gory details, but from C/C++ on Windows XP you should
call SHGetFolderPath with one of the CSDIL_* value (e.g. CSIDL_APPDATA) to
get the path. On Windows Vista and later, call SHGetKnownFolderPath with a
FOLDERID_* value (e.g. FOLDERID_LocalAppData). This way you aren't
hard-coding a path that might change down the road.