[Coco] Vcc+DW4 to access real floppy drive on Coco-3 ?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 8 07:34:22 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 08 July 2014 01:33:22 Kandur did opine
And Gene did reply:
> My HD is a Seagate Barracuda ST32550N 2.1 GB SCSI.
> Any suggestions how should I set it up?
>
> Kandur

In the nitros9 sources, study the superdescriptor docs & code comments.
There is a bit you can set (with dmode, running dmode in the "file" mode
by putting a "-" in front of the filename you want it to edit, then
rebuild the boot disk to use that descriptor) in the drives descriptor
which controls how format works.

I've forgotten which bit it is now, but the effect of it switches format's
operation from formatting the whole drive based on its asking the drive
how big it is, to using the arguments you give it on the command line, and
only formatting the outer x megabytes. I'd set that bit so as to make it
use your arguments and give arguments that would be a hair short of 500
megs so that the cluster size is not driven above 4.  Then when format is
finished, look at DD_SIZ in LSN0, and set the /sh descriptors wpc and ofs
values to one more than that figure, again using dmode in the file mode so
its committed to that descriptor no matter how many times you run the mb
script.  This then becomes the first vdisk, and can be used either for
HDBDOS access once HDBDOS has this value edited into it, see the docs, or
as bootable nitros9 disks.

I don't have any os9 stuffs in the first 4 vdisks as those are the vdisks
HDBDOS would use when switched to use vdisks (DRIVE0, DRIVE1, DRIVE2 and
DRIVE3) instead of real floppies.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)