[Coco] Book Review

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 11 15:19:38 EST 2014

On Saturday 11 January 2014 15:02:13 Glen VanDenBiggelaar did opine:

> Gene, I believe you are 100% right, I worked at a web press printer in
> "Pre-press" for over 10 years (did the Auto Trader mag up here).

I too have a bit of print shop experience starting at about 13yo, I did
some of the darkroom drudgery for our then weekly rag called the Redfield
Review.

But we never had a web fed, closest was a Heidelberg, the only with the
huge swinging arms that could decapitate the unwary.

Then when we moved to Nebraska I traded some occasional work using my gear
since I had a full color darkroom at the time for space in the shop a young
man trying to make a living doing flyer's & newspaper inserts and such on a
quad of sheet fed offset presses who started up about the same time we
moved to Carroll NE.

Now there is something that is plumb persnickety about its wet chemistry.
He was complaining about the plate going blind, which is not enough 'wet'
in the water in the trough, so I walked over and wet my finger with 1200
fotoflow, dipped it in the water that had some sort of an odd name, swished
it from end to end in the tank once and totally ruined the tank, took about
3 days to get it washed clean enough to work again. Fotoflow 1200 means its
1200 times wetter than water, the strongest formula kodak was shipping in
the 60's.  Apparently what it needed was only 10-20% wetter than water.  We
had to strip an about 30 year collection of hard water right down to the
cast iron, but then it worked better on his branded juice than it had in
quite a long time.