[Coco] CoCo SDC board arrived and RGB to VGA converters

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Fri Feb 7 02:16:02 EST 2014

I have one of those GBS-8220 units, and I even designed a piece of video
hardware ("C128 Video DAC", I sold about 30 of them) to generate a signal from
the C128's high resolution output which this board can convert to a VGA signal.

I have about 3 or 4 different NTSC-frequency to VGA converters, and the video
quality from this one is on the upper end.  It's pretty good, and for the
price they're asking this board is a great deal.

I've thought about connecting the Coco 3 RGB output to this board but haven't
gotten around to doing it yet.  I think there are some level problems (this
board expects 1 volt range but Coco output may be higher), and it may be
necessary to tweak the sync line polarities.  But it's at least theoretically
possible to use this to convert to VGA, because this board is designed to work
with the vert/horz frequencies output by the coco.

Richard