[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 6 16:57:02 EST 2014

On 7/02/2014 7:36 AM, Bill Loguidice wrote:

> Maybe we can agree that it's important to recreate the CoCo 3
> as closely as possible and offer "transparent" improvements, like a faster
> clock speed, improved audio-video modes, etc., that can optionally be taken
> advantage of. The need to replicate the CoCo 3 solves the problem of these
> machines breaking down and replacement parts no longer being available,
> helps the main platform spread in usage, etc., but can still do things that
> a normal CoCo 3 never could if one so chose.

For me personally, this is exactly what appeals to me about any 'Coco4'. But
I'd also add the ability to connect modern peripherals, such as keyboards,
VGA monitors, CF/SD cards in lieu of floppy/HDD etc. And don't forget the
ability to add functionality for 'real' enhancements that you would
otherwise have to buy, such as Orchestra 90 cartidges, CocoMax etc, that can
be built-in. So-called 'transparent' enhancements are a bonus, and even
enhanced graphics, whilst not essential for me, would be welcomed.

My dream is a replacement board that would fit in the Coco3 case, using the
original keyboard, with a cartridge slot. But also with everything I
mentioned above. Or it could sit on a bench, powered by a wall-wart, with
PS/2 keyboard. Best of both worlds...

But I get that it's not everyone's ideal either.

Regards,