[Coco] Drivewire & Bluetooth

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 22 22:22:39 EST 2014

On Monday 22 December 2014 21:54:13 Bill Nobel did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Ok, let me understand this. are you saying that the coco can do
> bluetooth through rs232?
>
> Bill Nobel

The clue I think was in the statement that he had a cable running from a
pack to the bit banger port.  If the BT device was auto-baud, unlike
Rogers pack, I see no reason why it wouldn't work, using the program pack
for power supply and housing, but running at the bit-bangers speed.  Then
the problem is range. My coco3 is in the basement, a good 25 feet of cable
away, and while I could connect to it using a no-name bt dongle, I could
not maintain the connection for more than 30 seconds even if I put the
dongle at the focal point of an alu reflector lamp housing aimed thru the
floor toward the coco.

> > On Dec 22, 2014, at 7:35 PM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but some Bluetooth serial adapters work better than others.
> > This one works well (the "firefly"):
> > http://gridconnect.com/serial-to-bluetooth.html

A bit pricy. but that is in comparison to already having the cables
pulled.

> > You can find much cheaper adapters but YMMV.
> >
> > I have one of the firefly inside a rompak, powered by the bus.  Works
> > great, and people wonder why on earth I have a cable running out of a
> > rompak and back into the serial port in the back of the coco, so
> > thats fun.
> >
> > If you have an android device you can use DroidWire with the same
> > setup.
> >
> > On Dec 22, 2014 8:20 PM, "Bob Devries" <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> is it possible to send Drivewire via bluetooth modules?
> >>
> >> My Coco3 is on the opposite side of my computer room, and running
> >> yet
> >
> > another cable is problematic.

Then it sounds like this could be a better idea.  The firefly's ragne at
330 feet would be a huge help since what I have is maybe 10 feet
dependable.

> >> Regards, Bob Devries
> >> Dalby, QLD, Australia
> >>
> >> --