[Coco] CocoSDC won't stay off

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Dec 2 22:43:21 EST 2014

abqpenmaster <abqpenmaster at ...> writes:

> I had similar experience.  Tried every combination of backup, copy, drive
on & off but it wouldn't copy to
> sdc.  Maybe we just use a card reader on a PC to set up files? ??

Well, I sort of did, but the point of all this is to get data off my old
floppies into a format (.DSK files that an emulator can run, or that I can
later copy back to real floppies) that they can be preserved.

I did most of that using RETRIEVE.EXE on a DOS PC, but what I have left are
a stack of disks with I/O errors from RETRIEVE.  I want to see if (1) I
could copy them using BACKUP on a real CoCo, and (2) failing that, I can
copy file-by-file as many files as possible.

I discovered also that the CoCo COPY command doesn't work right.  Or rather,
it works fine for really small files, but not for big files.  I almost
wonder if somehow SDC DOS is loading into a part of RAM that the BACKUP and
COPY commands are overwriting?  A total stab in the dark, but it sure seems
that way.