[Coco] "super" ROM pak??

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 16:00:44 EDT 2014

The microcontroller doesn't even need to do anything to 'initialize' the
pack.  The SRAM I'm looking at using is non-volatile.  It will keep the data
even when power is removed.  All I should have to do is insert the pak and
turn on the CoCo.  The microcontroller doesn't do anything unless it needs
to read/write data to the SRAM.

You're saying set the HALT to HIGH to resume??   I pulled info here that
confirms this actually..

"A nifty project in Rainbow connected a toggle switch between the HALT line
and ground. By activating the switch, the CPU would finish its current
instruction, then stop completely. This became a nice pause feature during
games, since the entire state of the CPU stayed the same. Also, by covering
pin 8 on the cartridge, ROM-packs could be inserted without them starting
up. It is extremely dangerous to insert a ROM-Pack with the CoCo switched
on."    Source: http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Color_Computer_FAQ

This can be accomplished with a pull-up resistor for normal operation tied
to a NPN transistor...done it before.