[Coco] Reading floppies with CRC error?

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 19 14:56:05 EDT 2014

On 20/08/2014 2:30 AM, Kandur wrote:
> Reading floppies with CRC error?
> http://qdv.pw/coco/?p=253
>
> Kandur

Floppies with those sort of scratches on the surface are a lost cause.
The disk media has deteriorated over the years that the magnetic
material has become flakey and unreliable to store data on.

While you may be able to recover some files off it, I ask myself the
question... is it worth it when almost all programs are available as a
DSK disk image?

Personal data is another story but that is why magnetic media needs to
be periodically backed up onto new media every so often...but who goes
to that bother?

I don't even use a floppy drive anymore. My CoCo is floppy'less. I've
invested in a controller that uses SD memory cards and I run disk
images. Backups are easily performed by copying the entire SD card to a
directory on my PC.

It also has Drivewire support.

Best investment I ever made for my CoCo.

Nick