[Coco] Playing or converting CAS files

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Aug 17 10:06:40 EDT 2014

Charlie Pelosi wrote:
>> CSAVEM"filename",L,H,E
>> where
>> L=lowest address
>> H=highest address
>> E=execution address
>> The addresses can be decimal numbers or &H hexidecimal numbers.
>>
>> The command is completely analogous to the SAVEM command which places a binary
>> file on disk.
>>
> Hi Robert. How can you find out the lowest, highest, and execution addresses?
> Is there a program on the coco that would allow you to load the binary and see
> these values?
>
> -C

I'm not sure there is a "good" way to find these values. There is an explanation
in "The FACTS for the TRS-80 COLOR COMPUTER" by Spectral Associates that
describes Coco cassette files.
The closest I see to the L, H, and E addresses is in the "Namefile block".
byte        value
0           $55
1           $3C sync
2           0=namefile 1=data $FF=end of file
3           length of block
if a namefile block you then have
0-7         8 bytes ascii file name
8           0=basic 1=data 2=machine language
9           ascii flag 0=binary $FF=ascii
10           not used
11-12       2byte start address
13-14       2byte transfer address     ?exec?

I've looked at some .cas files with Hex Workshop (PC program) and can find the
namefile block but would not want to rely on the addresses, and what does
"transfer" mean in this context. You can always find the EXEC address by reading
the content of $11D-$11E.
There does not seem to be an H address in a cassette file. You just keep reading
data until the file ends.

Robert