[Coco] Playing or converting CAS files

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 18:37:25 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Charlie Pelosi wrote:
> I'd like to play CAS files on my Windows system, using the pc as a cassette  player for my coco. Alternately I'd also like to convert them to WAV so I can  store them on an Ipod.
> What are the popular applications to do this on Windows? I've tried an app  from toolshed to convert to wav but the files never load on my

Which tool did you use from Toolshed, and exactly how?

> coco. I tried  cocotape from coco3.com but the files seems to start loading but then the coco hangs  on F after a while. Madness causes the coco to freak out with a flashing screen.

Note that not all CAS files can be converted by a simple utility to a
WAV file that the CoCo will accept. CAS files are made for emulators.
If it has shaved off some silence and sync sequences which are not
necessary for emulators, a directly converted WAV file may be unusable
for a real CoCo. Try loading the CAS file into an emulator and then
save it as WAV. XRoar is pretty handy for such conversions.

> I've been trying to get Madness and the Minotaur and Middle Kingdom from  the coco archive to work. Found here:  http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Cassettes/Games/
> While I'm at it, is there a coco program that will allow you to save a ML  program loaded in memory to cassette? (Or ML program on disk to tape)

Uh, CSAVEM ?

Regards,
Tormod