[Coco] DW3 and a Chess game

Spencer spencerjar at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 09:02:34 EDT 2014

Oops forgot the image name:  Chessd.dsk.

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:00 AM, Spencer <spencerjar at yahoo.com> wrote:

Ok specificity/elementary:  when I said "Loaded this Chess game" I simply meant I clicked on the little drive on the DW3 server software and then from the CC3 I did a load "Chessd/bas";  excuse the deficiency in clarity.  The .bas pgm. did not load into RAM (I know the difference!).  The archive (zip) file came from TRS-80 Color Computer Archive

TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
View on www.colorcomputerarchive.com Preview by Yahoo

First I restarted DW3 software from my Win98Se PC - did not help; then I rebooted my Win98SE PC (DW3 server) and the CC3 system(waited several minutes to turn all back on); did not resolve.  I even unplugged the DW cable and plugged it back in.

Now I'm saying the problem no longer exists.  Specificity continues:  I used  a fresh copy of DW3.  I do not know enough about DW to understand this software, but after using a fresh copy of DW3 the system is working fine.  Maybe something  jostled the DW cable and singals got confused;  Maybe my Win98SE PC corrupted the DW3 server.

Thanks

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 11:10 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:

Spencer via Coco wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> A newcomer with DW3/HDB-DOS & CC3 w/512k ram.  Loaded this Chess game (.BAS)
> in drive 2 of DW3, on the CC I loaded it and then RUN, and it never loaded.
> I don't care about the game
 failing the load, BUT now when I start DW I keep
> getting Error(244).  Did any peeks or pokes from this game hurt something in
> my system?  If not do I ever have to worry about software breaking something
> in my hardware?
>
> Thanks

Spencer,

First you say the game was loaded and then you say it "never loaded." Can't have
it both ways. :)

If you will post the specific chess program, we can test it with DW3. However,
what likely happened is that the game contains its own disk I/O routines that
hard code floppy drive0 and bypass the Drivewire routines.
If that is the case, the game will not work with Drivewire unless someone
patches the
 game.

Robert