[Coco] can't build nitros9

Christopher R. Hawks chawks at dls.net
Fri Aug 8 07:20:09 EDT 2014

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:32:55 -0400
Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:

> Bob Devries wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to build NitrOS9 from the repository. I downloaded
> > (using hg) the lwtools, toolshed and NitrOS9 repositories, and
> > built each one in turn. Lwtools builds fine, and Toolshed does too,
> > but with a number of warnings. NitrOS9 doesn't build at all.
>  ><snip>
>
> Bob,
>
> I've only built NitrOS-9 under Windows and can't be sure if what I've
> found will apply to Linux. Still I expect you are having a similar
> problem.
>
> I had to change most of the makefile(s) because I prefer to compile
> selected directories rather than the complete NitrOS-9 package. If
> you look at the makefile(s), you will find that few of them use the
> syntax: include ../../rules.mak
>
> Almost all of them use the syntax:
> include $(NITROS9DIR)/rules.mak
>
> Now that will work if you start in the root directory where rules.mak
> exists and that includes: ifndef	NITROS9DIR
> NITROS9DIR	= $(HOME)/directory_name
> endif
>
> In general, the directory_name will not be convenient for your system
> and won't be of any use unless you start in the root directory. For
> convenience, I've added to all makefile(s) that don't use the first
> syntax example above: ifndef NITROS9DIR NITROS9DIR =
> $(HOME)/directory_name endif Currently my directory_name is
> nitros9_330 to distinguish it from previous versions.
>
> You may want to try compiling the nitros9/lib directory before
> compiling any other branch. If you don't start in the root directory,
> make sure to define NITROS9DIR in the makefile(s). Make certain the
> NITROS9DIR matches your directory structure.
>
> Robert

it looks like NITROS9DIR does NOT match his directory structure. It
appears to be "" (an empty string). That's why the first line of his
output is:
make -C /lib && make -C /level1 && make -C level2 && make -C level3 &&
make -C 3rdparty && :

comes from the makefile trying to build $(NITROS9DIR)/lib et al.

Bob:

	Try "unset NITROS9DIR<ENTER>" and then "make dsk<ENTER>".

Let us know...

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
--
"Actually this is a common misconception...I do *not* in fact have a lot
of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense