[Coco] original Coco 5-1/4 floppy: how to clean?

Chris Oliver chris.w.oliver at me.com
Fri Apr 18 06:29:32 EDT 2014

All,

Wanted to see what you would recommend that I do in terms of servicing/cleaning my Coco floppy.  It just started throwing I/O errors last night, out of the blue.  All mechanisms work -- the head just searches the disk, can't find anything, and throws an I/O error.  Am wondering if this is a dirt/dust issue on the read head.

Any ideas on what you would check?  I know that the other components in the chain (the disk controller and cable) are working correctly.

Thanks for any tips --

Chris