[Coco] DriveWire is just a hobby (Was: DW4 on MAc & Linux)

Christopher Smith csmith at wolfram.com
Fri Sep 27 17:44:24 EDT 2013

If it's just newer hardware we wanted, an enhanced CoCo 2 should be quite doable.  The SAM chip was reasonably primitive by modern standards and should be reasonably well-documented, I'd guess.  Probably all of that could be shoved in a low cost FPGA and you could use another array (... or put them on a single larger array) for the CPU.  You could even do a real 6809 or 6309 if you aren't worried about the parts not being manufactured any more.  In theory this should allow speeds in the tens-of-mhz range and you could work out a way to support a good deal of memory even above what is on the CoCo 3, though if that was all you'd done, the graphics wouldn't be so great. :)

... and of course there's the problem of having the time, money and inclination to do it, but technically speaking I think the big deal would be in terms of the legality of the ROM from the system.  If you want a compatible machine, you need a compatible ROM which you're allowed to reproduce and perhaps modify slightly for new hardware.

Chris