[Coco] Quoting private email

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz dennis-ix at maltedmedia.com
Thu Sep 26 06:20:45 EDT 2013

Folks,

I've been a student of copyright for over 40
years -- might as well take the exam! You might
recall I did the first significant general
audience article on software copyright back in
1980 in 80 Microcomputing, with an interview of
Bill Gates among many others. I teach
intellectual property for musicians at one of our
state colleges. So I know this issue is not a simple one.

The article Art quotes is often referenced, but
is still just one analysis. A definitive email
case has not been adjudicated. I am not
interested in being a test case on the other end
of whatever money pot EmbeddedSW, .

Several points. A copyright notice is not
necessary and "little protection" is not the same
as no protection. Further, the copyright notice
was likely stripped out of the forward, as the
email that requested its removal had a very clear
notice; the rest of the posted email's content
was (I assume) verbatim, so no "innocent
infringement" applies. As for monetary damages,
the email was used in a way that generated a
somewhat dismissive thread (not least because of
the author's own apparent attitude) and could be
construed as damaging to the business (again, I'm
not interested in being the test case).

We come up to the 10th anniversary of this list
on October 6th. This was not how I planned to celebrate! :)

Dennis